Halloween Gummy Bear Recipe
Happy Halloween! In celebration of this festive season, we’re sharing a DIY gummy bear recipe. First, we’re looking at the science of decarboxylation and how to decarb your cannabis and infuse oil. If you’ve already got your infused oil, skip to the bottom of the article for the recipe. As always, and especially with candy edibles, keep your cannabis stored in a safe place that cannot be accessed by children or pets, or even an unsuspecting adult. Clearly mark your containers with “CANNABIS” and keep them in a locked box if need be.
Making Cannabis Edibles
In the last article, we looked at the science of decarboxylation and why it’s a crucial first step in making edibles and oils. Today, let’s look at how to make edibles gummies!
Decarbing to make edibles:
To make these cannabis products, the cannabis needs to be decarbed first. The easiest way – though most time-consuming – is to save your AVB from your vaporizer and make infused oil with it. Get instructions here.
Decarbing with a specialized appliance:
If you want to just decarb your cannabis and get to cooking, the DecarBox from Magical Butter is the best trick in the book! Perfect for first timers and seasoned home cooks, the DecarBox is a silicone box that you fill with your ground dry cannabis flower, then put it in your oven with the included probe thermometer. The box keeps the smell contained and the thermometer allows you to precisely control the temperature so you don’t end up burning off your cannabinoids with too high of a heat.
LEVO II – coming soon! Note that the LEVO oil infuser is low in stock – call to place your order. The LEVO II will be in stores and online asap! The new LEVO does it all: decarbs AND infuses oil!
Decarbing in your oven:
Why is the DecarBox better than using your ovens settings? Well, it’s a little known fact, but conventional ovens use temperature ranges and blast heat to get up to temp, then it dissipates – then the oven blasts more heat, and over and over again through the cooking process. Ovens are just like your furnace system at home: once the thermostat reads the low end of the temperature you’ve set, the furnace turns on for a brief time and blasts new hot air to raise the temperature. That being said, you can always go the old school route and put a pan of ground dry flower in your oven to decarb it – but be very careful to monitor it closely and you will likely get a strong odour filling your house!
Once you have your decarbed cannabis, it’s time to infuse it into a fat! The most common ones are butter and coconut oil, but you can infuse it into whatever fat you’d like! You can follow the same instructions found here and do it simply by stove top. Many people prefer to use a dedicated appliance like the Magical Butter Maker or the LEVO oil infuser that we’ve linked above.
Now that you have your infused cannabis oil, you’re ready to use it in a recipe. What better than some gummies for Halloween!
Start to Finish: 45 Mins
Yields: 50 Gummy Bears
Dosage: 1/50 of the amount of cannabis used
- Food grade condiment bottle of large eye dropper
- Food grade silicone gummy moulds
- Measuring Cup
- 1oz Cannabis Tincture or Oil
- 2 Green Tea Bags
- 3 Tbsp Creamed Honey
- ½ cup Coconut water
- ¾ cup Tart cherry juice or clear juice of choice
- 1 ½ Tbsp gelatin or agar-agar powder
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- Pour Coconut water into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil then steep green tea bags in coconut water for 10 mins.
- Add cherry juice, salt and creamed honey to saucepan. Stir gently until mixture is homogeneous. Return mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add gelatin or Agar Agar powder and whisk constantly for 3 to 4 mins.
- Add desired dosage of cannabis tincture (either alcohol or oil based) and whisk until incorporated.
- Turn off stove top and place funnel in condiment bottle or you can use a large eyedropper transfer gummy bear liquid into condiment bottle or large eyedropper
- Transfer to moulds – you must work quickly but be careful because the mixture is extremely hot.
- Refrigerate for 15 mins or until set.
- Remove from moulds store in airtight container and enjoy!
Remember, with medical cannabis, your cannabis is your medication and it cannot be shared with anyone, just like traditional pharmaceuticals. If you are using recreational cannabis, you can legally share your gummies (at no cost – you can’t sell them!) with legal aged adults, up to the equivalent of 30 grams of dried flower.
Stay tuned for the rest of Cannabis Supply Co.’s educational series on all things cannabis!
More Educational Posts:
- The Endocannabinoid System: What is it?
- Cannabinoids: THC, CBD and more!
- Cannabis Species: Medical & recreational cannabis species
- Cannabis Species: the four species of cannabis
- Dosing Methods #1: Smoking & Vaporizing
- Dosing Methods #2: Edibles & Oils
- Dosing Methods #3: Topicals & More
- Make cannabis oil with your vape!
- What are cannabinoids?